Friday 20 May 2011

When pupils turn mentors for teacher!

Teachers’ Day Today
When pupils turn mentors for teacher!
Rajay Deep
Tribune News Service
Mansa, September 4
Harpal Kaur teaching kids at a slum area on the Thoothian Wali road in Mansa

Teachers giving lesson to students is normal! Here is the story of a role-reversal, which was enacted in Gehle village of Mansa district some six-years ago when tiny-tots gave their teacher a lesson of her life time.
A 36-year-old ETT teacher, Harpal Kaur of Mansa has made a commitment to herself that she would enable the poverty-ridden kids live a normal life. After performing her duty at the school, she visits a slum area located on Thoothian Wali road and spends about two hours with the children there. She imparts them the basics of education.
When asked what made her to take this challenge, she replied, “About a couple of years ago, my son had lost about 70 per cent visibility, due to which I went into depression. One day, I saw a number of my students coming to the school barefooted. Surprised, I asked the reason for the same and came to know that they had been visiting temple and gurdwara for past couple of days to pray for my son’s early recovery. Their prayers and wishes resulted in a miracle. My son regained the visibility within few months.”
“But the devotion of pure-hearted students raised a question before me. I found myself very small in front of them when I asked myself that what was the objective of my life and what I did for the society,” she recounted.
“After pondering over for some days, I made a commitment to myself that I will dedicate a bit of my life to the children living in slum area. Initially, I started with arranging health check-up camps. But later, I realised that due to limited resources I might impart them basic education, which could help them in leading a good life,”
“Since that day, I am particular about my routine. The changes that have developed in the behaviour of my students, who live in slums, satisfies me to a great extent as this is what I had committed to myself,” she claimed.

No comments:

Post a Comment