Thursday 19 May 2011

Cancer XIV

Boha (Mansa), September 16
Urmila Devi of Budhladha narrates her plight during a cancer detection camp held at Boha village in Mansa district on Wednesday.
"It is good that MP Harsimrat Kaur Badal brought this cancer detecting team to our village but it would be better if the government helps us in getting operated also,” said a 52-year-old widow, Urmila Devi.
Narrating her plight, she said, “I have to discharge the responsibility of being a mother but due to the breast cancer, it is tough to live for long. My mother-in-law also died of cancer. I have already undergone mammography and cancer is suspected. But despite this, I do not have the resources to undergo surgery.”
Urmila was not the only one, found worrying about the wherewithal to get treatment for the disease, at the camp organized here for breast cancer detection.
Another patient, Jaswinder Kaur of Mal Singh Wala village, said she had undergone surgery but due to the poor economic condition of the family, she finds it impossible to get the diet recommended, as a result of which her body had become too weak to withstand the disease.
“I have again started feeling pain in breast, so I humbly request the government to lend a helping hand as I am unable to cope with the ‘expensive’ diseases any more,” said Jaswinder, wiping tears from her eyes.
Rani Kaur, who is in her forties, said, “I had three tumours in the breast, which I got removed at a private hospital in Bathinda after bearing huge expenses. Now I have been suffering the after-effects of the surgery, but I have no capacity to shell out expenses incurred on treatment. My sister-in-law also died of cancer. Despite this, my husband is not bothered about me.”
“Besides such detection camps, if our woman MP, understanding the pain of the womenfolk, could come up with monetary help for surgery and treatment, it would be a noble act,” she said.
Shinder Kaur of Shekanwala village, whose mother-in-law died of breast cancer, said, “Three years back, I got operated for tumours in the breast, but it has again started developing. This time, in the absence of resources, I would prefer to die than to beg in front of any one.”
“After the test, if we are told about the suffering caused by this disease, it would serve no purpose other than the onset of an early death. As nobody will come forward to lend monetary assistance for treatment, the tension will squeeze the life out of me,” said Mohinder Kaur of Maghania village.

No comments:

Post a Comment