Tuesday 17 May 2011

Rakhi celebrations: Emotions run high in Central Jail

Bathinda, August 24
Atmosphere at the Central Jail, Bathinda, was emotive today with visitors meeting their siblings and celebrating Raksha Bandhan. Drenched eyes and murmurs of brothers and sisters not only expressed their love towards each other but also made the prisoners take pledge for mending their ways.

A woman gets emotional after tying a ‘rakhi’ on her brother’s wrist at the Central Jail in Bathinda
“It is the saddest day of my life as my sister came to tie a thread of love on my wrist and I had nothing to offer her as a return gift. However, I have promised her that I would mend my ways and become as good a person as she can feel proud of being my sister," said Jasvir Singh, an undertrial.
"I am unable to understand what went wrong with us as my brother and I cried a lot today. Earlier, whenever I tied the thread on the wrist of my brother, we used to have lots of fun but today, we were in tears," said a sobbing Baljeet Kaur, whose brother is a murder convict.
"Though I keep on meeting him frequently but today I could not control tears when he hugged me," said the daughter of a middle-aged prisoner Darshan Singh, after tying a Rakhi to her father.
"Though it is my ill fate that I am in jail, it is the strength of this holy thread that I never feel alone. Even in her absence, I feel that she stands by my side to keep me away from ill wills," said Buta Singh of Bhalaiana after his sister Jaspreet Kaur tied Rakhi to him.
It was not only sisters who came to meet their brothers on the festival but there were about 15 men also who had come to celebrate the occasion with their sisters lodged there.
Though the visitor-prisoner meet is a routine affair at the Central Jail, the expression of emotions by the visitors and the prisoners was quite different today. Giving due respect to the people's sentiments, the jail authorities today were quite liberal towards visitors, who had been coming in queue to celebrate Rakhi with their kin since morning.
The number of visitors to the Central Jail today was much high than the normal days.

No comments:

Post a Comment